- Download the Linux driver and save locally.
- Open the New Printer dialog.
Starting Printer Setup
a) Start the Printer Configuration tool
b) Go to Server → New → Printer.
c) In the Authenticate dialog box, type the root user password and confirm.
d) Select the printer connection type and provide its details in the area on the right.
- From the list of devices on the left, select Network Printer → LPD/LPR Host or Printer.
- On the right, enter the connection settings:
For a single user system: Replace the generic UvAnetID by your personal UvAnetID. When you send a print job only you can pick up your prints at a printer.For a multi user system: Log in with your personal UvAnetID. The administrator should leave out the [email protected] part of the host name. When you send a print job the print system will then use your username (through environment variable CUPS_USER or USER) to make sure that only you can pick up your prints at a printer.
- Click on Forward to continue:
Selecting the Printer Model and Finishing
Once you have properly selected a printer connection type, the system attempts to acquire a driver. If the process fails, you can locate or search for the driver resources manually.
Follow this procedure to provide the printer driver and finish the installation:
- In the window Choose Driver, select the following option: Provide PPD file.
- Use the browser bar below the option description to select the Canon PPD file (CNADVC5235E1.PPD).
- Click on Forward to continue.
- After the changes are applied, a dialog box appears allowing you to print a test page. Click on Yes to print a test page now. Alternatively, you can print a test page later as described in the next section.
Print a Test Page
After you have set up a printer or changed a printer configuration, print a test page to make sure the printer is functioning properly:
- Right-click the printer in the Printing window and click on Properties.
- In the Properties window, click on Settings on the left.
- On the displayed Settings tab, click on the Print Test Page button.